zombi Forum Index
<  Zombies hunt prey on campus
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:00 am  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Zombies hunt prey on campus

It's a scene straight from a George Romero movie: A terrified human hurtles out of the reach of a ravenous zombie, her backpack straps flapping in the wind.

Except it's not celluloid. It's real life, and it's happening on Baylor's campus.

But instead of the chase ending in raw viscera and bloody gore, this zombie "eats" its prey by throwing a rolled-up sock or tossing a Nerf football at her.

Welcome to Baylor's newest interactive game: Zombies v. Humans.

"I'm constantly having to make sure I'm safe," said Granbury freshman Josh Aten.

Aten, a human, said he began playing on Monday, the game's opening day.

"Most people I know are being pretty serious about it, so I'm always having to be on the lookout," he said.

Though the rules are complex, the idea is simple: If you're a human, you hunt zombies. If you're a zombie, you try to eat humans. Humans wear bandanas on their arms and, once eaten, become a zombie and transfer their bandanas to their heads.

Humans use rolled up socks or Nerf guns to "stun" zombies.

The game was organized by Plano freshman Tripp Price on Facebook.com from a group called Zombies Vs. Humans (BU), its current membership surpassing 650 students. The group's Facebook page encourages game participants to "break the monotony of school and partake in the awesome."

Price said he got the idea to start the group from a friend of his who joined Cornell University's Zombies Vs. Humans game.

"I started the Facebook group about three weeks ago and we officially kicked off on Monday," Price said. "The group had more than 750 members at its highest and we think there are about 500 active players. We've had a great response."
Aten said he "killed" three zombies on Wednesday.

"Once zombies are dead, they're frozen for 30 minutes before they can eat another person," Aten said. "Then they have 48 hours to eat again before they get dropped from the game."

Aten said the Facebook.com group's administrators, which includes Price, contacts the individual informing them of their demise. Price said the game is over "once all the humans have become zombies or all the zombies starve."

Some of the game's rules include limits on weaponry - "balled up socks (1 at a time) or Nerf guns. That's it. Your arms are the only propelling mechanism," and "safe zones," - "classrooms IN SESSION ... the hallways in dorms and the dorm rooms and [residence hall] lobbies and cafeterias."

Penland Residence Hall co-director John Salazar said he has not received any complaints regarding the game. Salazar said residence halls' staffs are concerned with keeping a "academic environment" in the halls.

"So far, we're just confiscating Nerf guns and telling the kids to take it outside," Salazar said. "Just about the only thing I've heard is from kids complaining of having to run in between classes."

Salazar said he and the rest of the residence halls' staffs will "take appropriate measures" should any incident arise.

Waco senior Michael Kelly said the history of Zombies Vs. Humans can be traced back to another live-action, interactive game, Assassin, which became popular on college campuses in the early '80s.

"Basically our version of Zombies Vs. Humans is just a big game of tag," Kelly said. "Assassin is usually much smaller in scope. [Zombies Vs. Humans] is a lot more obvious and involves a lot more running."

Price said he wants to continue the game in upcoming semesters.

"I'm not sure if I'll continue to organize it, but I hope people remain interested in playing," he said.

Price said that, to his knowledge, Baylor police has yet to have to intervene with the game.

Baylor Police, however, could not be reached for comment.

Los Angeles senior Krista Watson said she was invited to join the Facebook.com group by one of her friends.

"I think [the game's organizers] are just trying to create a friendly atmosphere on campus," Watson said. "Everybody's having lots of tests and with finals coming up, I think people are getting stressed about school."

Watson said she thinks it's a good idea to relax, have fun and remember to not take school so seriously.

http://www.baylor.edu/Lariat/news.php?action=story&story=43032

www.whiskyroom.co.uk
Peter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

I played Assasin during my college days, as l0b0 did. But this game, this game is gorgeous! I want to be again at the college!!!
Roger: Don't do it until you are sure I *am* coming back!
http://lunaresenlosbolsillos.blogspot.com
http://whiskyroom.co.uk
http://zombi.blogia.com
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Peter wrote:
I played Assasin during my college days, as l0b0 did. But this game, this game is gorgeous! I want to be again at the college!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

jajaja jejeje

www.whiskyroom.co.uk