zombi Forum Index
<  The Encyclopedia Zombica v1.1 (Zombie Film Review Index)
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:38 am  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

http://analogmedium.blogspot.com/2006/12/encyclopedia-zombica-v11-zombie-film.html

Analog Medium has pledged to review every zombie movie ever made. The Silver Screen Kid is spearheading the project. You have before you The Encyclopedia Zombica, aka The Analog Medium Zombie Film Review Index. Each film we've reviewed has one sentence of summary and one sentence of review, plus a link to the original review with all dem purty pictures. It's already time for version 1.1. We've added 10 new reviews and more to come. The most recent version will be linked from one of the sidebars at all times. Enjoy!

- Army of Darkness (1993) - Ash, the hero of the Evil Dead movies, is transported back in time to the Dark Ages where he must once again do battle with undead creatures raised by the Book of the Dead. Hillarious and extreme, it is a fitting third chapter to Sam Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy and boasts a plethora of iconic dialogue and imagery. [SSK]

- The Beyond (1981) - A woman inherits a run-down hotel in New Orleans that just happens to be built on one of the seven gateways to Hell. I love the treatment of zombies and some of the scenes of gore in the Beyond are engrained in memory, which more than make up for the slow scenes. [SSK]

- Beyond Re-Animator (2003) - The third installment of the Re-Animator trilogy in which Herbert West, the Re-Animator, is serving a prison sentence and gets another chance to continue with his ghoulish experiments using his fellow inmates as guinea pigs. The Re-Animator trilogy has two great movies, and this is definitely not one of them. [SSK]

- Bio Zombie (1998) - A Japanese movie with zombies in a mall. The best part is when one of the main characters starts crying about his dead friend and his dead friend breaks through a window and eats the baby. [MR]

- The Bowery at Midnight (1942) - Bela Lugosi stars as a unique villian, a university professor who leads a triple life, running a soup kitchen in the bowery and recruiting transients as disposable ratchet men to pull bank heists. A gem when compared to Lugosi's work late in his career, this low budget masterpiece is a truly original mix of crime noir and zombie flick. [SSK]

- Bride of Re-Animator (1990) - This sequel to The Re-Animator features the same lead characters, Dr. Cain and Dr. West (The Re-Animator), after med school as they continue their experiments on the dead which ultimately lead to the construction of a Frankenstein-esque creation cobbled together from pieces of women cadavers. One of the best sequels of the entire horror genre, Bride of Re-Animator has excellent visual effects and keeps the spirit of the original film completely in tact. [SSK]

- Burial Ground aka The Nights of Terror (1981) - A group of poorly dubbed Italian socialites settle in to their private villa for a vacation only to find that their friend, the professor, has unleashed a horde of zombies from the Etruscan ruins located below the property. Although the gore and make-up effects are heroic for a low-budget foreign affair, the zombies are unelievable at best and the plot meanders to the point of stupidity. [SSK]

- Cemetery Man aka. Dellamorte Dellamore (1994) - A small graveyard in Italy has a problem with the corpses rising from the graves shortly after they're buried. This is one of the freshest takes on the zombie genre that we've seen. [MR]

- City of the Living Dead (1980) - The gates of hell will open on All Saint's Day if a psychic and a reporter from New York can't stop an undead priest in time. My personal favorite from zombie-maestro Lucio Fulci, City of the Living Dead doesn't disappoint in any aspect of the film, gore or otherwise. [SSK]

- Creepshow (1982) - George Romero directed and Stephen King wrote this collection of five short horror stories based on an old series of EC comics, also called Creepshow. The entire movie is a powerhouse and offers some great zombie scenes in two of the stories: Father's Day and Something To Tide You Over. [SSK]

- Dawn of the Dead (1978) - The first official sequel to Romero's Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead starts in the midst of widespread zombie infestation as a group of survivors hold up inside a shopping mall using it as a fortress, but it eventually becomes their prison. Perhaps the greatest zombie movie ever made, Dawn of the Dead set the standard for independent horror/gore and has yet to be matched. [SSK]

- Dawn of the Dead (2004) - In the midst of widespread zombie infestation a group of survivors holds up in a shopping mall but eventually becomes restless and attempts escape by driving armored shuttle buses to the nearest dock. This high profile remake lacks all of the heart and soul of the original low-budget masterpiece, reducing the plot to a series of action film cliches. [SSK]

- Day of the Dead (1985) - The third installment of George A. Romero's zombie chronicles, Day of the Dead depicts an encampment of soldiers and scientists who are on the verge of civil war regarding the best way to deal with their current perdicament. Although many hold the opposite opinion, and despite impressive make-up effects, I see this as the weakest of Romero's zombie films. [SSK]

- Dead Alive a.k.a. Braindead (1992) - One of Peter Jackson's earliest films, Dead Alive features indestructible zombies, a Sumatran rat monkey, and a creepy dude that keeps all the zombies alive in his basement. This is maybe the goriest zombie movie I've ever seen and it features one of the best anti-zombie weapons ever, the lawnmower. [BK]

- Diary of the Dead (2008) - Slated for 2007 or 2008, Diary of the Dead will mark the fifth chapter in George A. Romero's zombie chronicles and will feature a group of film students making a mummy movie who inevitably get attacked by the first wave of Romero-zombies. It sounds like Romero came up with a winner this time, going back to his indy movie nature and making some impressive stylistic choices. [SSK]

- The Evil Dead (1981) - A group of kids drive into the middle of nowhere for a secluded get away at an old cabin where they stumble across the Book of the Dead and unwittingly unleash a series of demonic zombies. Sam Raimi's first feature ever, The Evil Dead is a tour de force of low-budget filmmaking and remains a monumental addition to the horror genre. [SSK]

- Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (1987) - The slightly-higher budgeted sequel to Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead, The Evil Dead 2 starts with the reluctant hero from the first film, Ash, as he continues to combat the undead brought back by the Book of the Dead which have a new cast of victims to terrorize. This movie is groovy as fuck. [SSK]

- The Film Theory Zombie by The Silver Screen Kid (2006) - The first (of hopefully many) zombie films by Analog Medium's very own Silver Screen Kid. The film is short, but it's treatment of Night of the Living Dead-style zombies and zombie movie cliches is hilarious. [MR]

- Hard Rock Zombies (1985) - A van full of glam rockers show up in a backwater town that harbors a family of Nazis and monsters who kill the band members, only to have them come back as zombies bent on performing one last show. Hard Rock Zombies is so awful it's not even funny. [SSK]

- The House by the Cemetery (1981) - A scientist takes over a colleague's research and relocates his family to a creepy old house with a zombie living in the basement. Bland and predictable, The House by the Cemetery is a rare low in Italian-horror-auteur Lucio Fulci's career. [SSK]

- I Drink Your Blood (1970) - A group of satan worshipping hippies get infected with rabies and wreak havoc on a small backwater berg. Someone claimed there were zombies in this movie, but not only are there not zombies, I barely qualify this as a movie. [SSK]

- I Walked With A Zombie (1943) - A young nurse takes over care of a zombified woman living in Haiti where the natives conduct mysterious ceremonies and hand out voodoo curses. The zombie scenes are few and far between as I Walked With A Zombie gets watered down with an overly dramatized love story and blatant racism. [SSK]

- I Was A Zombie For The F.B .I. (1982) - Two FBI agents are investigating strange occurances at a popular cola bottling company that involve aliens, zombies, escaped convicts, and ZBeast. Made by students at Memphis University film school, I Was A Zombie For The FBI is a text book example of what not to do while making a movie.[SSK]

- Land of the Dead (2005) - The fourth chapter of George A Romero's zombie chronicles, Land of the Dead shows the break down of an enclosed society that consists of military, civilians, and the social elitists living in the ruins of a former metropolitan. This movie had some major flaws but was still a lot more entertaining than its predecessor, Day of the Dead. [SSK]

- The Last Man On Earth (1964) - Based on the book I Am Legend, Vincent Price stars as a lonely survivor in a world filled with zombie-like ghouls which he hunts during the day time. Perhaps the first modern zombie film, there is a lot to love about this movie, including the fact that it inspired George Romero to make Night of the Living Dead. [SSK]

- Night of the Living Dead (1968) - A small group of people barricade themselves into a remote farmhouse as they struggle to understand and combat the hordes of animated corpses that have suddenly overtaken the area. This movie is great and extremely influential, but it's so hard to watch (due to writing, acting, and budget) that it is far from my favorite zombie flick. [SSK]

- Night of the Living Dead (1990) - A small group of people barricade themselves into a remote farmhouse as they struggle to understand and combat the hordes of animated corpses that have suddenly overtaken the area. Probably the most legitimate remake of all time, this version has some major improvements on the original but failed to wow me with the zombie effects and seems to pander to the audience too much. [SSK]

- The Omega Man (1971) - Charleton Heston is the last man on a post-apocalyptic Earth, pitted against vicious mutant zombies who will stop at nothing to destroy him. This is one of Heston's finest performances, and I'd like to see a lot more post-apocalyptic settings for zombies. [BK]

- Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) - A race of aliens brings the dead back to life in an attempt to take over Earth. Directed by the infamous Ed Wood, and touted as the worst movie ever, Plan 9 From Outerspace falls into the category of “so bad it’s good”. [SSK]

- Re-Animator (1985) - Based on H.P. Lovecraft's short story, Re-Animator tells the story of Herbert West, a med student who enlists the help of a fellow student to conduct illegal tests involving a chemical re-agent that brings the dead back to life. This is truly one of the monumental greats of the zombie genre. [SSK]

- Redneck Zombies (1986) - A family of rednecks tries to use a barrel of nuclear waste as a still to make moonshine and ends up turning all the local hillbillies into ravenous zombies. Redneck Zombies, a Troma Studio release, is entertaining despite its abysmal filmmaking. [SSK]

- Return of the Living Dead (1985) - This is one of the bastard children of Night of the Living Dead, complete with indestructible zombies and those great zombies that want "BRAAIIINNSSS." This is a horror-comedy, but it's version of zombies is truly scary, and the movie is enjoyable from beginning to end. [MR]

- Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988) - A young boy growing up in the suburbs witnesses the release of a new zombie epidemic when the neighborhood punks find a canned zombie and release the deadly chemical Trioxin into the local cemetery. An awesome horror-comedy and an appropriate sequel, Return of the Living Dead Part 2 is a must for zombie fans. [SSK]

- Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993) - When the son of an army officer crashes his motorcycle and kills his girlfriend he takes her to the top secret Trioxin testing facility his dad works for and brings her back from the dead. This movie abandoned the comedy associated with this series and opted for a half baked love story between two whiny punk ass kids who are definitely not worth wasting and hour-and-a-half watching. [SSK]

- SARS WARS: Bangkok Zombie Crisis (2004) - In this Thai film, the SARS virus is causing zombiism and only two dudes with swords can save the day. This movie is a laugh riot that must be viewed after consuming large amounts of beer and hash. [BK]

- The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988) - A scientist is enlisted by a pharmaceutical company to go to Haiti and research a compound that is reputed to turn healthy living people into zombies. The Serpent and the Rainbow is chillingly accurate (it's based on the book of the same name that was based on real events) and features amazing hallucinagenic sequences and impressive visual effects. [SSK]

- White Zombie (1932) - A young couple show up in Haiti with plans to be married, but their host employs a voodoo practitioner played by Bela Lugosi to put the would-be-bride under the curse of the zombie, putting her into a hypnotized dream state. The first true zombie film ever made, White Zombie is just as good, if not better, than the other classic Hollywood horror from the 1930s. [SSK]

- Zombi Holocaust (1980) - An island society of cannibals has been subjugated by a mad scientist who performs experiments in hopes of making the dead rise from the grave, and only a band of white people from New York can save them. It’s amazing how many aspects of bad filmmaking are incorporated into Zombi Holocaust. [SSK]

- Zombi 2: The Dead Are Among Us AKA Zombie (1979) - Four people travel to a remote island where they find a scientist doing experiments on the walking dead that have recently begun to infest the island. Zombi 2, directed by Lucio Fulci, is probably my favorite Italian zombie movie, which makes it damn close my favorite zombie movie of all time. [SSK]

- Zombi 3 aka Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 (1987) - A chemical that causes zombie-ism is stolen from a top secret test site and inadvertently released on an island, prompting the local military to kill everyone and everything in the area. Zombi 3 is entertaining but lacks the style and focus of its predecessor, probably because direction was abandoned by Lucio Fulci and taken over by Bruno Mattei. [SSK]

www.whiskyroom.co.uk
Peter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 pm  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

Wow! Great job!
The main trouble making a work like this is the huge ammount of "akas" of the zombie films titles. Depending the country, and even in the same country, a film is named by at least three different ways...
Roger: Don't do it until you are sure I *am* coming back!
http://lunaresenlosbolsillos.blogspot.com
http://whiskyroom.co.uk
http://zombi.blogia.com
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Peter wrote:
Wow! Great job!
The main trouble making a work like this is the huge ammount of "akas" of the zombie films titles. Depending the country, and even in the same country, a film is named by at least three different ways...

Brain Dead here was in the US called Dead Alive Laughing Laughing

www.whiskyroom.co.uk
Peter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:45 am  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

Father Merrin wrote:
Peter wrote:
Wow! Great job!

Brain Dead here was in the US called Dead Alive Laughing Laughing

Laughing
I thought that here in Spain we got the worst imagination translating movie titles. Shaun of the dead is called in Spain "Zombies party", which is still in english...
l0b0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:38 am  Reply with quote
Armed citizen
Armed citizen

And what about "Kung fu Hustle"?
They called it "Kung fu sion", a really pathetic word play in both languages Smile
Peter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

But, for me, the worst translation in Spain was the one with "Rosemary's baby", which is known in our country as "La semilla del Diablo", what means "Devil's seed", title that didn't leave any doubt about the nature of the baby... for God's sake!
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:18 pm  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Kung Fu Sion and Seed of the Devil are both hilirious I think this could be a new thread on crap other titles for films. There was a film in america that had to be renamed as it would of been about a British king and the roman numerals after his name would of made americans think they had missed the first films!!!!!!

www.whiskyroom.co.uk
Peter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:54 pm  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

Father Merrin wrote:
Kung Fu Sion and Seed of the Devil are both hilirious I think this could be a new thread on crap other titles for films. There was a film in america that had to be renamed as it would of been about a British king and the roman numerals after his name would of made americans think they had missed the first films!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
No, I can't believe it!
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Peter wrote:
Father Merrin wrote:

No, I can't believe it!

The Madness of George III was it's anme in Australia, but they thought in the US that people may wonder what happen to parts one and two Question Question

Title change

An urban legend circulates to this day that the Roman numerals were removed from the title of the film because U.S. test audiences misinterpreted them to mean it was a sequel. The Madness of King George at the Urban Legends Reference Pages suggests that this is not entirely true.

Quote:
The film was based on the play The Madness of George III. In Britain, it can be assumed that most people would realise this refers to King George the Third, but this might not be so clear in other countries. The title change was suggested by Hawthorne himself during a photoshoot at Arundel Castle for the film's poster. The concept was George III sitting on his throne with a sceptre in one hand and a piglet in the other. Sir Nigel was told this was to symbolise both his regality and his insanity. Upset by this over-literal approach, Hawthorne suggested the change to The Madness of King George.[citation needed] This title was used all over the world, not just in America as has sometimes been claimed.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madness_of_King_George

Quote:
Claim: The title of the 1995 British film The Madness of George III was changed to The Madness of King George by its distributors to avoid the possibility that American audiences would think it was the third installment of a "Madness of George" movie series.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/george.htm

www.whiskyroom.co.uk
Peter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:09 pm  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

Laughing
If I were american I would be a bit embarassed about this...
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Peter wrote:
Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing There are some very clever americans and some very dumb americans like anywhere in the world. I don't think Bush as their No.1 envoy has done much though to improve their world appearance in the brain awards. Laughing

www.whiskyroom.co.uk
Peter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote
Special Forces
Special Forces

Father Merrin wrote:
Peter wrote:
Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing There are some very clever americans and some very dumb americans like anywhere in the world. I don't think Bush as their No.1 envoy has done much though to improve their world appearance in the brain awards. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bush... father or son? Who is worst? I think that son, at least these days...
Laughing
Father Merrin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:24 pm  Reply with quote
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot

Peter wrote:
Father Merrin wrote:
Peter wrote:
Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bush... father or son? Who is worst? I think that son, at least these days...
Laughing

Two bullies, which is worse, the one that nearly hit someone or the one that did and now has most of the world clambering to hit him back?

www.whiskyroom.co.uk